Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Q&A Session with Karyn Climans, Creator of Tail Wags Helmet Covers, Inc.

Buzz this




Yesterday, I shared my review of the ‘Lucky the Ladybug Helmet Cover, manufactured by an awesome company named Tail Wags Helmet Covers, Inc. Click here to read all about it! Their helmets are designed to make it FUN for kids (and adults) to wear their safety helmets. Here is a question and answer session with Karyn Climans, the creator of Tail Wags.

----------------------------------

Question: What was the inspiration behind your company?
Answer: Nine years ago, I was in a serious ski accident but fortunately I was wearing my ski helmet. The helmet saved my life! Ever since my accident, I became determined to encourage more people to wear a safety helmet while biking, skating, skiing, snowboarding, and tobogganing.

Question: How did you come up with the idea of helmet covers?
Answer: I have a teaching & costume design background. I wanted to incorporate the idea of dress-up/imaginary play in to wearing a helmet so kids would find it fun to wear their helmets. For adults, the motivation to wear a helmet is different... They like to "make a statement"!

Question: How many helmet cover designs do you have?
Answer: There are over 40 adorable designs to choose from including the Fairy Princess, Gladiator, Big Stinker Skunk and the Pink Kitty.

Question: What type of helmets do they fit over?
Answer: They fit ALL makes & models of bike, skate, ski, snowboard, toboggan & equestrian helmets. They even fit "bucket style" motorcycle helmets. In fact, the Bridal helmet cover was created when a bride who was driving off in to the sunset called me and asked me to create her a bridal helmet cover. She wanted to feel like a bride on her special day!

Question: Do you do custom orders?
Answer: unfortunately, it's impossible to respond to every request for a custom helmet cover. That said, if I think the idea is going to appeal to the general public, I would give it a try!

Question: From a safety perspective, are helmet covers safe?
Answer: The important thing to remember is helmet covers should not be attached in any way to the helmet. Tail Wags are not tied or velcro-ed or snapped on to the helmet. They are simply a shower cap design. The other important thing to remember is helmet manufacturers warn that stickers should not be applied to helmets because the adhesive of the sticker may undermine the integrity of the plastic shell. One more important point: Tail Wags helmet covers ADD to the visibility of the user when biking, skating & skiing. There are no drivers who don't see me coming when I'm riding the streets of Toronto with my Princess helmet cover. Because of the added visibility, I feel safer when riding my bike.

Question: What is the most satisfying aspect of running your own business?
Answer: Customer feedback is the thing that makes the hard work of running my business worthwhile. I've had parents call me to tell me their child who didn't want to wear a helmet is now wearing their helmet in the car & house because they love their Tail Wags ... Since my company goal is to increase the number of kids and adults actually wearing their helmet, I know I'm doing a good job!

Question: What plans do you have in the future for Tail Wags?
Answer: Of course, I'm always creating new designs because I love the creative side. I'm about to launch 4 new designs including a Unicorn, Butterfly, Dinosaur and Zebra.

---------------------

Thanks to Karyn for giving us some background on her company. It is amazing to see how far the company has come in the couple years since I first discovered it on the Canadian Broadcasting Company’s TV series, ‘Dragons’ Den.’ I highly recommend that you head over to their website to check out their awesome products! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this information about my company, Tail Wags Helmet Covers! If we can convince more people to actually wear their safety helmets, then we've been successful!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this information about my company, Tail Wags Helmet Covers. If we can convince more people to wear their safety helmets, then we've been successful!

 
Clicky Web Analytics